The 25 Principles for Adult Behavior: John Perry Barlow (R.I.P.)
1. Be patient. No matter what.
2. Don’t badmouth: Assign responsibility, not blame. Say nothing of another you wouldn’t say to him.
3. Never assume the motives of others are, to them, less noble than yours are to you.
4. Expand your sense of the possible.
5. Don’t trouble yourself with matters you truly cannot change.
6. Expect no more of anyone than you can deliver yourself.
7. Tolerate ambiguity.
8. Laugh at yourself frequently.
9. Concern yourself with what is right rather than who is right.
10. Never forget that, no matter how certain, you might be wrong.
11. Give up blood sports.
12. Remember that your life belongs to others as well. Don’t risk it frivolously.
13. Never lie to anyone for any reason. (Lies of omission are sometimes exempt.)
14. Learn the needs of those around you and respect them.
15. Avoid the pursuit of happiness. Seek to define your mission and pursue that.
16. Reduce your use of the first personal pronoun.
17. Praise at least as often as you disparage.
18. Admit your errors freely and soon.
19. Become less suspicious of joy.
20. Understand humility.
21. Remember that love forgives everything.
22. Foster dignity.
23. Live memorably.
24. Love yourself.
If you have not checked out The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel Soundtrack, you are missing out. Peggy Lee, The McGuire Sisters, and Streisand come together on this puppy to make for an enjoyable and eclectic mix.
Spotify Folks Listen Up: Click here for the playlist brought on by the podcast inspired by the show. It rocks socks in that old timey, I’m-on-top-of-the-world way.
In times of old, women were taught to rely on superstition in order to seek out a husband. Elaborate rituals and ceremonies were routine.
Here are a few favorites:
Bird Spotting: A theory as old as the Greeks and Romans themselves
Spot a Robin: You will marry a sailor of ships
Spot a Sparrow: You will marry a poor man, but you will be the happiest.
Spot a Goldfinch: You will marry rich.
Spot a Woodpecker: You will never be married at all.
Pillow Egg: A recipe for the husband of your dreams
Step 1: Pin 5 bay leaves doused with rose water to your pillow. Arrange one in the center and one in each corner.
Step 2: Consume multiple salted eggs without the yolks.
Step 3: Chant the following: “Good valentine, be kind to me; in dreams, let me my true love see.”
Step 4: Sleep tight.